How to Use Pit Boss Electric Smoker? Good Tips in 2022
Pit Boss is an electric smoker that has been designed to provide the best smoking experience for consumers. It comes with three different racks, one of which can be used as a wood chip tray; this allows you to easily add flavor using natural smoke. The temperature gauge on this electric smoker makes it easy to monitor your food’s progress without opening the door and letting out valuable heat.
In this blog post, I will give you some tips on how to use a Pit Boss electric smoker. These are the best methods for making sure your food is tender and juicy. They also allow you to add a ton of flavor without having to put in any effort!
1. What is Pit Boss Electric Smoker?
Pit Boss is an electric smoker and grill that comes with one large and two small racks. The door on this unit has a window, which means you can easily monitor your food without letting out valuable heat. The racks are coated with porcelain, allowing food to slide right off. There is also a drip tray that will catch drippings while they cook.
2. How many type of Pit Boss Electric Smoker in the market now?
There are several types of Pit Boss electric smokers available on the market today. They include:
– Standard model that comes with 1 large and 2 small racks.
– Premium model that also has a wood chip tray built into one of the racks. This allows you to add flavor using natural smoke! The premium model comes with a temperature gauge as well, making it easy to monitor your food without opening the door and letting out valuable heat!
3. What are benefits of Pit Boss Electric Smoker?
– The stainless steel construction on this smoker is very durable and will last you for a long time to come.
– Soaking wood chips in water allows them to smolder longer, which means the food will take longer to cook but it will also have more flavor!
– Although there are small racks included with this unit, each one can hold up to 7 pounds of meat . This is enough space that you won’t need to add more racks halfway through your cooking session!
– There’s no assembly required when you get this smoker; simply plug it in and use it right out of the box!
4. How many type of wood chips work for Pit Boss Electric Smoker?
There are several types of woods that work well with this electric smoker. You can use hickory, mesquite or cherry; each will give your food that familiar smokey flavor you’ve come to expect from a barbecue!
5. Steps by steps on How do you use Pit Boss Electric Smoker?
First, you will want to fill the water pan with about 2 inches of water.
Next, you can either put dry wood chips into one of the racks or soak them overnight in water before using. If you like your food on the smokier side, then soaking them is a must!
Now that your wood chips are soaked and your water is filled it’s time to load up those racks! You can fit up to 7 pounds of meat on each rack so there won’t be any overcrowding even if you have family members who don’t eat as much as everyone else!
Plug in your smoker at this point and set the desired temperature. A lot of people prefer to opt for a higher temperature so the food cooks more quickly. However, don’t forget to set a timer!
If you have used dry wood chips, now is the time to load them into one of your racks. Make sure you keep an eye on them throughout the cooking process and reload as needed!
Once your food is finished, simply let it rest before serving. This allows all of those juices to fall back into the meat instead of spilling out onto your plate!
You already know How to Use Pit Boss Electric Smoker as above. Now, let’s see some Tips and Guides on How to Use Pit Boss Electric Smoker as below:
Tips and Guides on How to Use Pit Boss Electric Smoker.
1. What we need to consider before buying Pit Boss Electric Smoker?
There are several things you should keep in mind before buying this type of smoker. If you don’t, you run the risk of paying more than necessary for features and accessories that aren’t really what you need. The first thing to consider is how many people your family will be feeding on a regular basis.
If you live by yourself or with one other person then a smaller unit will probably be fine. However, if there are several mouths to feed then consider purchasing a larger model. This ensures that everyone gets enough food without having to wait around!
The next decision is whether or not you plan on moving your smoker around frequently. You can easily transport some models but others will require two people just to get them out of the garage and into the car!
If you spend a lot of time tailgating or camping then this might not be an issue. However if it’s something you only do once in awhile, buying a smoker that weighs 80 pounds probably isn’t worth the investment.
Electric smokers are very affordable in comparison to some other types on the market.
In order to keep your new electric smoker from getting damaged, you’ll want to buy a few accessories. If you have a model with two racks then get an extra one so you can cook more food at once!
You might also want to invest in a cover so it looks just as good on the outside as it does on the inside. Many of these units come with accessories that can help extend their life and increase functionality. For example, there are covers that let you change how much smoke a wood chip produces before smoldering out!
2. Some Cooking Recipes for Pit Boss Electric Smoker.
2.1. Cherry Smoked Prime Rib:
– Ingredients: 4 to 6 pound rib roast, 2 cups of cherry wood chips, 3 tablespoons of your favorite seasoning.
1. Soak the cherry wood chips for at least 30 minutes before preparing your ingredients. It’s also recommended that you soak them for one hour to get the fullest flavor possible from them!
2 . Start by making the rub that will be used to season your meat. In a bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. Stir everything until the sugar is completely dissolved and set it aside for now.
3. Remove your roast from its packaging and lightly coat it with a bit of oil on all sides before applying the seasoning rub mentioned above. Make sure all areas are covered evenly! If you have any extra seasoning left over then just apply more about an hour before smoking begins!
4. Plug in your Pit Boss electric smoker and set the desired temperature according to manufacturer instructions. You can expect it to take between 4-6 hours or so to finish cooking depending on size and type of cut! Often times, you’ll find that the best results come from smoking at a temperature between 230 and 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Once your food is finished, simply let it rest before serving. This allows all of those juices to fall back into the meat instead of spilling out onto your plate!
2.2. Country Style Ribs:
– Ingredients: 3 pounds country style ribs, 1 cup apple juice in a spray bottle, 2 cups dry rub for ribs (mild or spicy), 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 teaspoon chili powder in a bowl .
1. Soak wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes before preparing your ingredients. You can soak them overnight if you’d like but it’s not vital to the process.
2. Remove ribs from packaging and spray them evenly with apple juice before applying your dry rub in an even layer on all sides. Make sure that your sugar and chili powder is mixed in a separate bowl!
3. Plug in your Pit Boss electric smoker and set the desired temperature according to manufacturer instructions. You can expect it to take between 3-5 hours or so to finish cooking depending on size and type of cut! Often times, you’ll find that the best results come from smoking at a temperature between 250 and 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Once your food is finished, simply let it rest before serving. This allows all of those juices to fall back into the meat instead of spilling out onto your plate!
2.3. Sweet & Spicy Smoked Chicken:
– Ingredients: Whole chicken, 1 cup of wood chips (cherry, hickory or mesquite) soaked for at least 30 minutes , 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 teaspoons salt and 1 tablespoon chili powder in a bowl.
3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup sherry wine, 2 tablespoons honey garlic seasoning mix (from supermarket).
1. Soak your wood chips for at least 30 minutes before preparing your ingredients if you are using an electric smoker. If you are using a different type then skip this step.
2. Using the instructions above that pertain to how much oil you use on your chicken, apply the rub evenly to all sides of your thighs.
3. Plug in your pit boss electric smoker and set the desired temperature according to manufacturer instructions. You can expect it to take between 2-4 hours or so to finish cooking depending on size and type of cut! Often times, you’ll find that the best results come from smoking at a temperature between 250 and 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
4 . Once your food is finished, simply let it rest before serving. This allows all of those juices to fall back into the meat instead of spilling out onto your plate!
3. How do smokers use the first time on pit boss?
– Turn the Pit Boss on, set temperature at 225°F-240°F with smoke setting.
– It will start smoking for 30 minutes before it reaches the desired temperature to cook your meat with this metal smoker box you have placed inside of it. You can place your food directly in this box or use a tray that has holes in the bottom to put wood chips on top of, then put food on top of wood chips.
– Cook your food for desired length of time (see chart below table).
– When done cooking, turn off thermostat and let it cool down slowly before removing your cooked food.
– Remove cooked food from pit boss electric smoker and enjoy!
4. What can I cook on pit boss smoker?
You can cook most meats such as brisket, ribs, pork shoulder, turkey, salmon, shrimp , chicken and more! Each cut you use has its own cooking time but here are some general guidelines:
– Brisket takes around 1 – 2 hours per pound depending on how fatty it is.
– Ribs should take about 4-5 hours.
– Pork butt should be cooked around 6 hours.
– Chicken should take about 2-3 hours depending on how large your cut is.
– Turkey takes about 12-15 pounds and needs to cook for 6-7 hours.
5. How do you make smoked BBQ ribs with pit boss?
1. Remove rack of ribs from packaging and spray them evenly with apple juice before applying your dry rub in an even layer on all sides.
2. Place the rib rack into your Pit Boss electric smoker (insert metal box, place wood chips in tray above) and set the desired temperature according to manufacturer instructions. You can expect it to take between 3-5 hours or so to finish cooking depending on size and type of cut! Often times, you’ll find that the best results come from smoking at a temperature between 250 and 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Once your food is finished, simply let it rest before serving. This allows all of those juices to fall back into the meat instead of spilling out onto your plate!
4. Remove cooked ribs from Pit Boss electric smoker, place on platter with paper towels underneath, then let rest for 4 minutes before enjoying!
6. Do you need any accessories for pit boss?
Pit Boss comes with most cooking essentials that you’d want in an electric smoker but here are some common items they don’t include:
– Thermometer: this is very important so you can monitor what temperature your smoker is running at since without one your food will come out burned or under done.
– Wood chips: you can use charcoal filters, wood chips and even fruit like apple and cherry to give your food a unique smokey flavor.
– Aluminum Foil: using this for wrapping up foods that take a long time such as brisket is extremely helpful; it will speed up the cooking process and also keep your meat moist!
– Gloves: you want to make sure you wear gloves when handling any meats with Pit Boss electric smoker since these tend to get very hot! You don’t want any nasty grease or juice spilling onto your skin.
7. How do you use the smoke setting on a Pit Boss?
You have to open the top lid, insert metal box filled with wood chips on top of the heating element , then continue cooking food as usual.
8. What is the best way to monitor smoking meat on pit boss?
Using a thermostat thermometer is the perfect way to monitor what temperature your smoker is running at since without one your food will come out burned or under done.
9. When does pit boss shut off?
According to manufacturer instructions you can expect it to take between 3-5 hours when using Pit Boss for smoking meat! Often times it’s very helpful when you use aluminum foil in wrapping up foods that take a long time such as brisket; this helps speed up the cooking process keeps your meat moist!
10. How do you preheat a pit boss pellet smoker?
1. Turn on your Pit Boss electric smoker and set the desired temperature according to manufacturer instructions.
2. Once it reaches the desired temperature turn the dial from “low” to “high.” This will automatically kick on your heating element so you’ll be ready for when you start adding wood chips or other foods!
11. Can a pellet grill go in a smoker?
Yes, definitely! In fact, using a pellet grill along with a Pit Boss electric smoker is a great way to ensure that no matter how much smoke fills up in your smoker box, you have an excellent source of clean heat running off of high quality pellets that are going to produce an amazing flavor for all of your meats!
12. Steps on How to clean Pit Boss Electric Smoker?
1. Once you’re done cooking, unplug it and allow it to cool down completely.
2. Remove the drip pan below the grates by simply removing 2 screws that hold it in place then rinsing with soap and water. The whole process takes about 5 minutes!
3. Now all you have to do is rinse off your wood chip tray , wipe down your grills, and give the inside of your Pit Boss electric smoker a quick wipedown with an anti-bacterial cleaner or even just soapy dishwater will be perfect!
4. Lastly, leave out to dry before plugging back in and using for your next meal!
13. How long can food stay on high smoke setting?
You should only use the smoke setting for about 30 minutes max when smoking meat; otherwise, you’ll end up burning them or cooking them too quickly!
14. How to maintain Pit Boss Electric Smoker?
1. Keep the inside of your Pit Boss electric smoker clean at all times! This ensures that no matter how much smoke fills up in your smoker box, you have an excellent source of clean heat running off of high-quality pellets that are going to produce an amazing flavor for all of your meats!
2. When not in use it’s a good idea to keep your smoker outside and cover with a protective cover. Use often and enjoy delicious BBQs year round!
15. Some Tips on Using Pit Boss Electric Smoker.
– If you’re using a glass door Pit Boss electric smoker like the SM200, make sure to keep it open until it reaches your desired temperature. Closing the door before the unit is at the correct heat puts your food in danger of drying out and burning!
– It’s always better to err on the side of caution when you first start cooking with Pit Boss for smoking meat; after all, this thing produces some intense heat. Keep an eye on meats as they smoke and pull them off once they reach their finished cooking temperature!
– The more smoke you let fill up in your smoker box, the slower foods will cook due to lack of oxygen. You should consider using less wood chips than what is recommended by manufacturer instructions so that your food cooks more quickly and doesn’t burn!
– Allowing your bacon to cook without any smoke is a great way to speed up the cooking process. It will still come out tasting amazing and cooked just right by using this method! Or, if you’re smoking meats, don’t stack them on top of each other until they reach their finished cooking temperature. This ensures that smoky flavors from the wood chip tray mix properly with the meat you are smoking!
– You’ll want to make sure you have enough food in your smoker box at all times so that it keeps a steady temperature. This means that adding more food as soon as you see a dip is important for maintaining a consistent cooking temperature!
16. Common mistakes when Using Pit Boss Electric Smoker?
– Using too much smoke: When you put too many wood chips into your smoker box and then close it, that can cause a dip in the temperature. That’s why it’s important to only use the amount of smoke recommended by manufacturer instructions!
– Closing door before reaching set temperature: This just makes everything take longer because there won’t be enough oxygen getting into the Pit Boss unit to maintain a proper high heat. You should try keeping the door open until the unit is at cooking temperature so you don’t risk food drying out or burning while waiting on Pit Boss electric smoker to reach proper temps.
– Not keeping airflow properly clear: If you have any kind of blockage due to buildup inside your air vents , that can create more problems than solutions. Be sure to keep your air vents clear at all times so that airflow doesn’t get obstructed and the unit can run smoothly!
– Not allowing enough cooking time: This is especially important when you’re smoking meat; if you take it off too early, it’s going to be dry because not enough time has passed for juices to redistribute throughout the meat. Trust us, this will make your meats taste like rubber if you don’t allow enough time for them to reach their finished cooking temperature!
Pit Boss are great smokers, but they are easy to misuse. Using Pit Boss for smoking meat is perhaps the most difficult of all electric smoker types, simply because it takes practice. For some meats, you can go by feel – for others, you need a thermometer on hand at all times to ensure that your meats cook properly through and stay tender throughout!
17. Some Tips on Cleaning Pit Boss Electric Smoker Boxes .
– There’s nothing worse than burnt on chunks of meats in your smoker box while trying to clean out your unit. To prevent this from happening use aluminum foil while cooking, especially when barbecuing chicken! Chicken is known for sticking to surfaces more than most other due to its high protein content.
– Regardless of what meats you use, be sure to let them cool completely before trying to clean out the smoker box. This allows any stickiness or gooey residue left behind from foods to harden and gives you a better chance at scrubbing everything away without damaging your trays!
– When it does come time to clean them out, use hot water and elbow grease (or baking soda mixed into a paste if there is some serious gunk that won’t budge). You should never put smoker boxes in your dishwasher because they can warp and become misshapen. The best way we’ve found for cleaning Pit Boss units is by using towels soaked in hot soapy water and then scrubbing with an old toothbrush.
– Another important part of the cleaning process is making sure Pit Boss electric smoker’s heating element is completely dry! If you don’t, there’s a chance that mineral deposits will accumulate and cause your unit to malfunction. We recommend using a terry cloth towel or even just allowing it to air dry overnight so that all surfaces are properly dry before attempting to plug it in again!
A lot of people want to know how much Pit Boss electric smokers cost to run. As with anything else, this question requires a bit of research because while some models may be more energy efficient than others overall, they aren’t going to be the most efficient when actually cooking food.
FAQs about How to Use Pit Boss Electric Smoker.
1. Question: How much electricity does my new Pit Boss electric smoker use ?
Answer: This question has an answer that very widely depending on which model you’ve decided on, how often it’s used, and how long food stays inside for. If you’re using your unit regularly, then expect higher energy bills than normal. If your usage patterns are sporadic, then your energy bills should be lower as a result.
2. Question: How do you prevent food from drying out on a pit boss electric smoker?
Answer: There’s really not much to it – you just need to make sure the length of cooking time is long enough for all juices and flavorings to permeate throughout whatever meat you’re barbecuing! If you don’t allow enough time, you run the risk of having dry or rubbery meats. It’s important to use a thermometer while cooking so that there are no problems!
3. Question: What is the process of smoking sausages on electric pit boss smoker ?
Answer: The best way we’ve found for successfully smoking meats such as sausages is by making sure we use aluminum foil. This method is especially effective if you want to smoke food for an extended period of time without having to worry about it drying out. There are certain meats that simply don’t cook right when exposed to open flames, so this helps alleviate any problems there!
4. Question: How do I clean my pit boss electric smoker?
Answer: Our advice is always the same – use hot water and elbow grease! Don’t put your Pit Boss unit in the dishwasher because it can warp under high temperatures.
The surface of each box has plenty of ridges available, which makes scrubbing them down much easier than trying to brush stray bits away or wipe them off with a wet towel! If you have particularly stubborn residue or buildup, then baking soda mixed into a paste can be used to help remove anything that won’t come off with just water.
5 Question: How do you clean your pit boss electric smoker trays?
Answer: We’ve found the best way is to use hot soapy water and an old toothbrush. If there are any particularly tough bits of food or residue which won’t come apart with this method, then we recommend adding in some baking soda mix to create a bubblegum-like consistency which will scrub the stains away relatively easily!
6. Question: Where is it best place to put my Pit Boss electric smoker?
Answer: It’s important to remember that these units get very hot, so you should always try and avoid placing them somewhere where they might come into contact with flammable materials (such as paper or wood) or any sort of heat source that could set the entire thing alight. It’s also advisable to place away from anything that can easily be damaged by heat, such as curtains, furniture, and carpets.
7. Question: Can you smoke a turkey on a Pit Boss electric smoker?
Answer: We’ve tried this out on numerous occasions – it works great so long as you have enough time! The usual method is to soak the meat overnight in saltwater to allow for flavors to permeate throughout. You should then rub down with your favorite spices and leave the turkey overnight again before putting it back into the refrigerator until you’re ready to start up the electric smoker and begin cooking it.
8. Question: How do you smoke meat on your Pit Boss unit?
Answer: You’ll need to seal prepared meats in aluminum foil before placing them inside for between 1-2 hours depending on thickness. After this time has passed, remove from aluminum foil and place directly onto the electric smoker’s racks, but be sure not to include any additional juice or spices as you want it to stay as dry as possible!
This method ensures that all flavors seep into the meat itself, rather than just coating the outside of whatever it is you’re cooking!
9. Question: How long does it take for Pit Boss electric smoker to heat up?
Answer: When you add wood chips and other kinds of food to your Pit Boss electric smoker, it’s going to take about 15-20 minutes for the temperature to return back to normal cooking temperature.
10. Question: How much smoke does Pit Boss Electric Smoker produce?
Answer: Pit Boss produces a very dense and heavy smoke that can be used in combination with other types of smokers or grills; however, it is important to be aware of how much smoke you are putting into your own personal space! Make sure not to give yourself too much smoke without letting fresh air get inside like you would breath if you were standing near someone smoking a cigarette!
Pit Boss Electric Smoker is a great way to enjoy the benefits of smoking meat without having to deal with messy, time-consuming charcoal. It’s an affordable and easy choice for novice smokers who are looking for their first piece of equipment or seasoned barbecue enthusiasts who want to take advantage of electric smoker technology in order to help them cook delicious food faster.
This article shows you How to Use Pit Boss Electric Smoker? Besides that, we provide some tips and guides on How to Use Pit Boss Electric Smoker. Feel free to leave a comment of you don’t clear anything, we will reply soon. Thanks for reading!